Dual Clear Glass Industrial Insulator Lamp by Craig Murphy (Durham, NH)
Glass insulators were first developed in the 1800s to attach telgraph cables to poles and keep the wires dry. These two clear saddle style Hemingray-62 glass insulators were manufactured in Muncie, Indiana, between the years 1900s and 1940s. They were designed to support heavy distribution cables operating up to 6000 volts. The markings embossed on the back sides indicate that the left insulator was made with mold 12 in 1943 (the dots are added to the year code 1938 + 5 = 1943). The switch has been converted from a spigot handle and spindle and it should only be turned in a clockwise direction.